Indian Summer Festival’s Closing Night kicks off at 7:30pm with our favourite speaker series, 5×15, followed by Constellations featuring a mix of musical delights from 9:30pm onwards. This ticket includes both events for an entire evening of cultural feasting.
5×15 VANCOUVER | Five Speakers, Fifteen Minutes. Magic.
‘If 5×15’s packed soirees feel like an evening of offline, communal surfing, it’s due to the eclectic menu of speakers.’ – The New York Times
5×15 is a speakers series that originated in London and has since spread to New York and Milan. It features five stellar speakers, speaking for fifteen minutes each on a topic they are deeply passionate about. 5×15 global has hosted speakers like Gloria Steinem, Ben Okri, Brian Eno, Malcolm Gladwell and Eve Ensler. Indian Summer Festival is proud to be the only Canadian host of 5×15 for the fourth year running.
Our all-star lineup of speakers:
- Talvin Singh is a tabla player, electronic musician, DJ and music theorist known for his pioneering work in the Asian Underground scene in London. He is an inspiration to many across the globe.
- Kamila Shamsie grew up in Karachi and now lives in London. She is the author of five award-winning novels, trustee of English PEN, and named one of Granta’s ‘Best of Young British Novelists’.
- Rock star, writer and humanitarian Bif Naked has pushed the boundaries of acceptability in her screaming loud creative work making her a cultural icon and a true Canadian legend.
- Molly Crabapple is a journalist and artist whose illustrative journalism has looked at Guantánamo Bay, Abu Dhabi’s migrant labor camps and with rebels in Syria. Her work is in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art.
- Former revolutionary Carmen Rodriguez is a Chilean-Canadian author, poet, educator and political social activist. She is currently the writer-in-residence at the historic Joy Kogawa House.
The evening is hosted by the brilliant comedian Kalyani Pandya, described as “Ottawa’s funniest Dyke”.
Your ticket to 5×15 includes access to Indian Summer Festival’s entire closing night offering, so stay on and enjoy Constellations, our musical star-studded finale.
ASL is available for 5×15! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request ASL services before June 23rd. This venue is wheelchair accessible. For venue description and accessibility information: Vogue Theatre.
This event has been made possible thanks to support from the BC Arts Council.