Logistics Assistant Arts Intern
Description of Organization
Indian Summer Festival is a contemporary multi-arts festival that takes place every July in Vancouver, Canada. Named as #1 of the five best Canadian festivals “worth planning your summer travels around” by Westjet Magazine, the festival presents a combination of free and ticketed events, including music, ideas, visual art, and public engagement. From novelists to Grammy Award-winning musicians, international visionaries to oral storytellers, Indian Summer Festival has presented emerging artists as well as Nobel, Booker, Grammy and Oscar prize nominees on its stages.
- The logistics assistant will assist with production elements planning, materials sourcing, and logistics related event operations for the Indian Summer Festival’s events and performances. The student will be responsible for tracking materials and executing transportation related to events. Projects may include but are not limited to production timelines, arrangements with vendors, artists supplies, exhibition materials, sponsorship materials, venue setups, and transportation.
- The logistics assistant will report to and be mentored by the production manager.
- There will be expectation to work without direct supervision during some events and volunteers may report to the intern for assignment and supervision.
- This is a hands on position and will include physical activity during showtime.
- Our ideal candidate is highly organized and detail-oriented with a methodical mindset.
- We are looking for someone with excellent forethought who has interest in the nuts and bolts aspects of producing live performances, events, and installations.
- Clear and proactive communicator
- Able to cleverly adjust or improvise with the possibility of last minute changes.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Fluent in English, Multilingual a plus
- Drivers license required and access to a car an asset
Student Learning Components
- Indian Summer Festival has an established onboarding procedure to acquaint our hires with the software and procedures we use. There is excellent leadership by example on how to conduct oneself during meetings, create respectful discourse, and other workplace habits.
- The intern will receive regular check ins on their projects and personal progress. As well as continuous interaction with the other staff working on the projects.
- The intern will be exposed to all of the interconnected fields that make a festival happen; creative direction, marketing, administration, box office, outreach, sponsorship, volunteers, co-presenters, freelance professionals, venues and more.
- Additional training will be tailored to the candidates’ aptitudes and interest. This may include, Advanced and complex scheduling, Event and logistic planning, Procedures regarding travel and touring in Canada, Importing and exporting, Invoice procedures, Liability, Site safety planning, and Crew leadership.
- Indian Summer Festival is a highly collaborative and relationship oriented workplace. This helps to hone skills in communication, intersectional and international thinking and set an exceptional example of the ideal employer- employee relationship.
- Many of our previous interns still work in festivals or related fields of theatre technology and exhibition. They keep in touch for professional advice and for the friendships made while they were here.
Deadline to Submit: April 02, 2019
Submit resume & cover letter to
Mimi Abrahams, Production Manager